While your business model is focused on serving others, our business is focused on serving you. We work hand-in-hand with executive directors, boards of nonprofit organizations, and family, private and community foundations, to protect your philanthropic efforts.
Our nonprofit and foundation attorneys are committed to handling all the challenges you face. We have the benefit of being able to rely on the support from our other practice areas to help ensure you receive the representation you deserve. Whether you need assistance with benefit considerations, labor and employment issues, tax matters or financing questions, we meet each challenge head-on.
We understand that the business of a foundation doesn’t stop with its inception. That’s why we’re here to ensure your organization remains effective and relevant in a fluctuating environment. We do so by offering a wide range of continuing services from annual legal audits to total management of the grant application process. At the end of the day, we exist to support you and ensure we provide you with a sustainable business model that protects and advances your mission.
Areas of Practice
- • Choosing the Organizational Structure
- • Constituting the Organization’s Membership and/or Board of Directors
- • Coordinating the Procedures for State Government Filings that Require Multiple Approvals
- • Corporate Governance Documentation
- • Design and Implementation of Plans for Mergers, Reorganizations and Liquidations
- • Documentation of Board Proceedings and Distribution Decisions
- • Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- • Employment Contracts
- • Employment Personnel Policies and Handbooks
- • Federal and State Tax-Exemption Determinations
- • Financing
- • Governance Issues
- • Government Contracts and Grants
- • Intellectual Property such as Trade Names, Copyrights, etc.
- • Leases, Loans, Contracts and other Business Agreements
- • Litigation
- • Management of For-Profit Subsidiaries in Compliance with Tax Requirements
- • Mergers and Acquisition Due Diligence
- • Preparing and Filing State and Federal Tax and Information Returns
- • Real Estate
- • Representation and Advocacy Before Tax Agencies Concerning Compliance
- • Tax-Exempt Healthcare Entities
- • Taxation
Attorneys in this Practice Area
Robert W. BriggsChairman Emeritus & Partner
Richard B. Fry IIIOffice Partner-in-Charge
Nathan M. FulmerAssociate
Jeffrey A. HalmOf Counsel
Stephen M. HammersmithPartner
Patricia A. PacentaOf Counsel
Robert E. RolandPartner
Ronald F. WaynePartner
News and Publications
- Godshall Named 2016 Lawyer of the Year Honoree by Best Lawyers®
- House Bill 509 Makes Significant Changes to Ohio Public Bidding Law
- Professional Management for Your Community Association?
- Community Associations Institute
- Ohio Sales and Use Tax Audits – What to Expect!
- Church Administrative Offices Denied the Real Property Tax Exemption
- Caution: Appealing to the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals