Stephen M. Hammersmith
Partner | Akron (Fairlawn)
Areas of Practice
- Finance Law
- Nonprofit & Foundation
Assistant | Nancy Whitman : [email protected]
I am a commercial finance attorney with over 30 years of experience representing borrowers, banks, underwriters and bond purchasers as they navigate their financial and transactional circumstances.
I guide my clients through various financing and transactional matters in addition to structuring numerous loans, leases and tax-exempt bonds. I draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial transactions for my clients including general commercial contracts, supply agreements, purchase and sale warranties and disclaimers, and letters of credit.
Because of my experience handling sophisticated matters, I am able to properly advise my clients on whatever corporate finance issues or transactions they face. My goal is to make the process as easy for my clients as possible, which means I stay on top of their cases, I keep them informed every step of the way, and I show my clients the respect and dedication they deserve from an attorney.
- In addition to the matters described above, represents client with matters pertaining to revolving lines of credit, tax increment financing, tax abatement, factoring transactions, interest rate swaps, and currency hedges.
- Joined the firm as an associate in 1981; elected partner in 1988
- Served on the firm’s board of managers
- Practice areas include finance and municipal law, commercial and corporate transactions and nonprofit entity law
- The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio (J.D., with honors, 1981)
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (B.A., 1978)
- Ohio Bar
- Federal District Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (1995-2023)
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in the Akron area for Banking and Finance Law (2009, 2014, 2018)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004-2005, 2014-2020), as voted by his peers
- Received special recognition for 15 consecutive years or more of being listed in the Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Business & Transactions - Banking (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar
- Member: Archbishop Hoban Trust Fund Board
- Member: Archbishop Hoban High School Board
- Member: St. Hilary Foundation Board
- Member: Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Northeast Ohio Chapter Committees
- Graduate: Leadership Akron Class 2003-2004
- Member: Akron Bar Association
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- “Tax Increment Financing and Other Development Issues,” Annual Real Estate & Construction Law Seminar (2009)
CONNECT WITH Stephen
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.