How to Verify Business Social Media Accounts
In today’s digital age, social media has become an integral part of business marketing, customer service, and reputation management strategies. Establishing an authentic online presence is crucial, and one way to enhance business credibility is by verifying your business social media accounts. Account verification not only adds a blue checkmark badge, but also increases trust and distinguishes your brand from potential impersonators.
The Importance of Social Media Verification
Account verification on social media platforms serves as a seal of authenticity with additional control options that are exclusive to official business accounts. It confirms to your audience that your account represents a genuine business, and verified accounts tend to enjoy various benefits including increased visibility, improved brand reputation, nearly 30% higher account engagement rates, and enhanced credibility among followers and potential customers.
Perhaps most important of all, verification can help protect a brand from impersonation and online defamation by others who may create fake accounts using the brand’s name, and in turn, potentially tarnish that business’s reputation.
Social media verification originally began on Twitter in 2009, and has since grown to become something nearly every celebrity, notable figure, and business takes advantage of. In fact, purchasing a verification badge became available to Twitter in 2014, and to Instagram users in February 2023 for a monthly fee. However, you don’t need to spend money to verify your business accounts. Simply follow the below steps for each platform to get started.
How to Prepare Your Accounts
Before starting the verification process, ensure the intended business social media accounts are well-maintained and up-to-date. Here are a few items to take care of:
- Be sure your business name is written correctly
- Write a compelling bio
- Provide contact details
- Add a link to your business website
- Set the profile picture as your business logo
Research Platform-Specific Guidelines
Each social media platform has its own verification guidelines. Familiarize yourself with the platform-specific requirements and instructions to streamline the verification process. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn have dedicated support pages that outline the necessary steps. Here’s how to start the verification process for each:
How to Get Verified on Facebook
- Ensure your Facebook Page represents a real, established business or brand.
- Go to your Facebook Page and click on “Settings.”
- From the left column, select “Page Verification.”
- Choose the verification method: either “Verify this Page with a phone number” or “Verify this Page with documents.”
- If you choose the phone number option, enter your business phone number, and Facebook will send you a verification code.
- If you choose the document option, you’ll need to upload official business documents, such as utility bills or business licenses, that clearly show your business name and address.
- Once you’ve completed the verification process, Facebook will review your request, and you’ll receive a notification about the status of your verification.
How to Get Verified on Instagram
- Ensure your Instagram account is set up as a business account and is public.
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile.
- Tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) and select “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Account.”
- From the Account menu, tap on “Request Verification.”
- Enter your full name and provide a government-issued photo ID or an official business document (e.g., tax filing, utility bill) to verify your identity.
- Fill in the required details and submit your verification request.
- Instagram will review your request and notify you of the outcome via a notification within a few days.
Need more help? Check out the official how-to for Instagram (did you know they’re owned by Facebook?). You can also purchase the monthly blue check subscription for Instagram.
How to Get Verified on TikTok
- Download the TikTok app.
- In the TikTok app, tap Profile at the bottom.
- Tap the Menu button at the top.
- Tap Settings and privacy.
- Tap Manage account, then tap Verification.
- Follow the steps in the app to submit a verification request.
How to Get Verified on Twitter
- Ensure your Twitter account represents a legitimate business or brand.
- Visit the Twitter verification page.
- Click on “Start Application” and log in with the Twitter account you want to verify.
- Select the account type (individual or company) and provide the necessary information, including your account username, a bio, and a profile photo.
- You’ll need to explain why your account should be verified and provide any additional links or references to support your request.
- Review the information you’ve provided, submit your verification application, and pay the fee to Twitter.
- Twitter will review your request, and if approved, you’ll receive a notification informing you that your account has been verified.
Be Patient During the Verification Process
The verification process can take time, and there’s no guarantee of immediate approval. Social media platforms receive numerous verification requests, so exercise patience while awaiting a response. Some platforms offer an estimated timeframe for processing verification requests, which can help manage expectations.
Leverage Alternative Verification Methods
In addition to platform-specific verification processes, consider alternative methods to enhance your online credibility. You can link your social media accounts to your official website and cross-promote your profiles on other verified accounts.
Once your business social media accounts are verified and ready to go, it’s always a smart idea to plan for the unexpected situations of impersonations or internet defamation. Sometimes it’s inevitable, and this is where the experienced team of Buckingham can help. If you find yourself facing an impersonation account or internet defamation, protect your business social media and online reputation by contacting us today.