Practice Area & Professional Experience
- Represents physicians and hospitals in compliance, contracting, and Medical Staff issues (including credentialing, corrective action and disruptive physician issues).
- Experienced in HIPAA Privacy.
- Advises companies and individuals on how to avoid liability for social media, e-mail and Internet use and how to implement retention and disposition policies for electronically stored records.
- Represents healthcare providers in antitrust, credentialing, false claims, fraud and abuse, and malpractice litigation.
- Represents acute care and rehabilitation hospitals, physicians, managed care plans and TPAs, durable medical equipment suppliers, and other health care providers and suppliers.
- Experienced in representing physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals before Ohio licensing boards.
- Represents employers in discrimination, wrongful termination, and other employment matters.
- Represents healthcare employers in drafting employees handbooks and compliance policies.
- Defends manufacturers and suppliers in products liability cases.
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C. (J.D., cum laude, 1978)
-Topics Editor, American Criminal Law Review
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (M.A., with distinction, 1972)
-Mellon Foundation Fellowship
John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio (A.B., magna cum laude, 1970)
Loyola University, Rome, Italy
Bar Admissions & Associations
Ohio Bar (1978)
United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Member: American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Antitrust Section
Member: Ohio State Bar Association, Health Law Committee
Member: Stark County Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009 - 2015).
- Named “Akron Best Lawyers Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year” (2012).
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004 - 2005, 2007 and 2010 - 2013), as voted by his peers.
- Recognized as one of the Top Lawyers in Northeastern Ohio in Akron Life Magazine (2009-2013).
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
Professional & Civic Involvement
Secretary: AultCare Holding Company Board of Directors
Member: American Health Lawyers Association
Member: Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys
Vice President, Board of Trustees, Canton Museum of Art
Board of Directors/Executive Committee (Past Chair) Friends of the Summit
Board of Directors Jackson-Belden Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors Access Health Stark County
Steering Committee - University of Akron Law School - Health Law Certificate Program
Advisory Board Pregnancy Support Center
Recruiter Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program
Leadership Board for American Heart Association Heart Ball
Presentations & Publications
- Author of chapter “Informal Dispute Resolution and Its Use in Peer Review,” for the Peer Review Guidebook, published by the American Health Lawyers Association.
- "Giving Physician Recommendations: A Cautionary Tale,” Cleveland/Akron/Canton MD News (November/December 2013)
- "New Legal Requirements for Notifying Patients When a Physician’s Employment Ends,” Cleveland/Akron/Canton MD News (May/June 2013)
- "HIPAA’s New 563-Page Megarule,” Cleveland/Akron/Canton MD News (March/April 2013)
- "Office of Inspector General Issues Advisory Opinion on Per Diem Pay for ED Coverage,” Cleveland/Akron/Canton MD News (January/February 2013)
- “Lab Test: Management Proposal Poses Anti-Kickback Risk,” Akron/Canton MD News (February/Mach 2012)
- “The Top 10 List You Don’t Want to Make,” Akron/Canton MD News (May/June 2011)
- "Stimulus Incentives: Look Before You Leap," Cleveland / Akron / Canton M.D. News (May/June 2009)
- "Risks Rising for 'Delayed Diagnosis' ED Litigation," ED Legal Letter (April 2009)
- “Happy 5th Birthday, HIPAA!” Greater Akron/Canton edition of M.D. News (May/June 2008)
- “Discovery of Electronically Stored Information, How Ohio’s Proposed Civil Rules Might Affect Physician Practices,” Akron/Canton M.D. News (March/April 2008)
- “How a Doctor’s Blog Turned His Defense Into a Fleabag,” Akron/Canton M.D. News(July/August 2007)
- “Email Communication: Mind Your Mouse,” Ophthalmology Magazine(August 2006)
- “Pay-for-Performance: A Way for Hospitals to Bond with Their Medical Staffs,” Hospitals & Health Systems Rx (American Health Lawyers Association) April 2006, Vol. 8, Issue 1
- “Pay-for-Performance: Giving Your Practice a Shot-In-the-Arm,” M.D. News (May 2006)
- “Going Bare?” Ophthalmology Management (September 2005 )
- “Disruptive Physicians: An Alternative to Formal Corrective Action,” The Cleveland Bar Journal, March 2004 “ ‘I’m Sorry’ – A Prescription for Preventing Malpractice Suits,” M.D. News, September-October 2004; Texas Reporter (October 2005)
Mr. Feltes speaks on health law, provider compliance, medical staff and problem physician remediation, e-mail and communication issues, HIPAA, and related issues for various organizations and clients throughout the Midwest.
- "HIPAA: When you Can Disclose Information to Facilitate Patient Care," Akron General Medical Center's Department of Psychiatry at Northeastern Ohio Medical University (August 2014)
- "HIPAA 2013 – Meeting Today’s Challenges,” Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging (November 18, 2013)
- “Contracts – Offers You Can’t Refuse!,” Akron General Medical Center Senior Retreat for Residents (November 16, 2013)
- “Hospital Peer Review Hearing Procedures for Medical Staff,” Akron University School of Law (November 15, 2013)
- "Email, Text, Blogs & Posts: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly," 2013 Aultcare Quick Connect Networking Luncheon (October 2013)
- "Mental Health Professional's Duty to Warn after Aurora, Sandy Hook, and Chardon," Akron General Grand Rounds (March, 28, 2013)
- "Hospital Hearing Procedures for Hospital Medical Staff," Ohio State Bar Association (2012)
- Conducted Webinar: "COBRA Changes Under The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act," Employers Health (March 19,2009)
- Moderator: Stark County Medical Society Legislative Forum (March 12, 2009)
- “Adventures and Misadventures of E-Mail and the Internet,” Bruner-Cox LLP (November 6, 2008)
- “Physicians Behaving Badly, Jerks, Juveniles, and the Otherwise Impaired,” Akron General Medical Center (July 9, 2008)
- “HIPAA, the Internet & Beyond,” Northeast Ohio Eye Surgeons (March 12, 2008)
- “Sarbanes-Oxley In Ohio: Compliance for Health Care Entities,” Lorman Education Services, August 22, 2006
- “Bridges to Excellence: Data Collection, Use, and Reporting from a Legal Perspective,” co- sponsors: Employers Health Purchasing Company of Ohio and the Stark County Medical Society (May 17, 2006)
- “Collateral Consequences for Healthcare Professionals Arising from Criminal Convictions,” Akron Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee (January 2006)
- “Spam I Am – Not: The Adventures and Misadventures of E-mail and the Internet,” Akron Society for Human Resource Management (April 12, 2006)
- “Business Ethics for Employers in a Post-Enron World” (April 2006)
- “The Misadventures of E-mail and the Internet,” Ohio State Bar Association Spring Education Program (2006)
- “Liability for Teachers and School Systems Arising Out of Bad Behavior,” College of Wooster (Spring 2006)
- Liability Concerns for High School and Middle School Coaches” (2006)
- “The Importance of Effective Communication for Preventing Lawsuits,” Northern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (Fall 2005)
- “Political and Societal Effects on the Delivery of Healthcare,” Mount Union College (Winter 2005)
Reported Cases Georgeopoulos v. Humility of Mary Health Partners Inc., 195 Ohio Apps.3d 133, 2011-Ohio-3123.