Dirk E. Riemenschneider
Health & Medicine Practice Group Leader
I am a health and medicine lawyer, and serve as chair of the Health & Medicine Practice Group at Buckingham. For more than 20 years I have focused my practice on defending physicians, hospitals and long-term care facilities in medical malpractice actions.
I have extensive experience trying cases throughout Ohio. I provide hospital and physician defense for numerous hospitals, individual physicians and medical liability insurance carriers, and long-term care facilities throughout the region.
I handle very sensitive cases for my clients who are facing difficult circumstances. It is my job to protect them, ensure they are confident in the legal process, vigorously protect their interest at trial, and help them find closure and resolution so they can get back to focusing on their practice.
- Serves as chair of the Health & Medicine Practice Group
- Provides hospital and physician defense in Northern Ohio for numerous hospitals including The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Lake Health System, The MetroHealth System and St. Vincent Charity Hospital
- Provides representation to numerous individual physicians and medical liability insurance carriers such as ProAssurance, The Doctor's Company, Medical Protective, and Coverys.
- Provides defense for long-term care facilities including HCR Manor Care and Life Care Centers of America
- Has briefed and argued in appellate court regarding medical/legal issues
- Joined the firm in 1998
- Education & Admissions
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio (J.D., 1991)
- Baldwin-Wallace College, Berea, Ohio (B.A., 1988)
- Ohio Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Awards & Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2007-2018)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Business Edition® for Medical Malpractice Law (2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004-2015, 2017), as voted by his peers
- Recognized in Ohio Super Lawyers® Top 100 (2014-2017)
- Recognized in Cleveland Super Lawyers® Top 50 (2014-2017)
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition® and the Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice (2009-2015, 2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar
- Professional & Civic
- Life Member: Eighth Judicial District
- Member, Advisory Board: The Three-Deuce-Five Marine Foundation
- Fellow/Member: Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member: Defense Research Institute (Medical Legal Committee)
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <strong>Presentations:</strong> <ul> <li>Three-part annual conference series on topics related to unexpected patient outcomes and professional litigation (2017-2018)</li> <li>"Experience is Treacherous: An Intimate View of the Physician's Experience of Adverse Patient Outcomes and Malpractice Litigation," co-presented, The Elena and Miles Zaremski Law-Medicine Forum, Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2018)</li> <li>"When the Waves Wash Over Us: Responding and Recovering after Medical Mistakes and Unexpected Patient Outcomes and What We Talk about When We Talk about Litigation," co-presenter, National Risk Management Week, MetroHealth Medical Center (2017)</li> <li>"From Barely Surviving to Thriving: Finding Our Way Through Professional Litigation," co-presenter, Akron Children's Hospital Continuing Education Presentation (2016)</li> <li>Frequently lectures on issues regarding medical legal issues</li> <li>“Public Health and Jurisprudence,” Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine (2006)</li> </ul>