Andrew R. Zellers
As a litigation attorney, I focus my practice on helping clients navigate complex, sensitive and often urgent matters. It is my job to help my clients resolve their issues outside of the courtroom, but when such matters cannot be resolved, I advocate strongly for my clients at trial.
My litigation experience is based at the trial court and appellate level, handling cases ranging from breach of contract actions to aggravated murder. I have a deep familiarity with all the nuances that are involved in bench and jury trials, and know how to put my experience to work for my client’s benefit.
It is my goal to ensure my clients feel heard, reassured and actively involved in the case throughout the entire matter.
- Joined Buckingham in 2020.
- Experienced in litigating a wide variety of cases in the Ohio Court of Appeals, Ohio federal and state courts, and Ohio Bankruptcy Courts.
- Previously represented construction contractors in union related lawsuits, such as ERISA matters.
- Advocated on behalf of clients in a variety of administrative proceedings including the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services, Ohio Department of Commerce, and U.S. Department of Treasury.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee and debtor in possession in adversary proceedings against financial institutions, law firms, and creditors.
- Negotiated a $625,000 short sale on a $1.6 million loan for a commercial property leading to the continuation of the tenant’s business.
- Represented a restaurant owner before the Ohio Liquor Control Commission.
- Successfully appealed a felony sentence of a county court leading to the reduced sentence for the defendant-appellant.
- Defended against a debt collection efforts by a creditor, ultimately leading to the dismissal of the case.
- Represented a Decedent’s Estate in in defending the distribution of a wrongful death settlement.
- Advocating a client’s 42 U.S.C. § 1983 claim against a municipality in federal court for the deprivation of rights.
- Litigated a multi-million dollar lawsuit against a lender for the negligent destruction of client’s property while attempting to sell the property upon foreclosure.
- Represented a Mechanical Contractor in Labor Relations and ERISA lawsuit filed by a Union.
- Negotiated two F-4 felony Passing Bad Checks charges for over $16,000.00 down to a M-1 Misdemeanor Passing Bed Checks that included no jail time for the client.
- Tried and won an objection to discharge adversary proceeding in U.S. Bankruptcy Court on the basis that the debtors concealed assets.
- Represented criminal defendants on all level felonies.
- Represented a business owner in pursuit of a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against a disgruntled ex-employee and boyfriend who started a revengeful and slanderous website about the business.
- Acted as second chair defense counsel for a felonious assault trial. I was responsible for voir dire, opening statements, and cross-examination of police investigators.
- Pursued financial institutions for violations of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protections Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and the Truth in Lending Act on behalf of mortgage holders.
- Represented a small business owner in pursuit of his insurance company for failure to pay a $400,000 claim.
- Advocated on behalf of a father charged with child endangering as a result of suspected shaken baby syndrome and tried the case, which involved analyzing a significant amount of medical records and theories.
- Represented clients in personal injury actions against insurance companies
- Served as second chair trial counsel in and aggravated murder which was dismissed.
- Sat second chair on and aggravated robbery trial, which resulted in a not guilty verdict.
- Served as second chair trial counsel on multiple aggravated murder cases.
- Advised a small business on anti-trust matters.
- Lectured at a CLE Program on the Anatomy of a Criminal Defense
- Advocated for a father charged with child endangering as a result of alleged shaken baby syndrome and consulted with experts to formulate a defense.
- Successfully defended a business owner on breach of contract and conversion claims.
- Education & Admissions
- John Carroll University, B.S.B.A.-Finance (2007)
- Western Michigan University, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D. (2010)
- Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Professional & Civic
- Nathaniel R. Jones Inn of Courts
- Ohio State & Mahoning County Bar Association, Campaign Ethics & Grievance Committee