Justin S. Greenfelder
Partner | Canton
Areas of Practice
I am a trial lawyer with a focus on complex civil litigation. I represent businesses from Fortune 500 companies to local start-ups on matters involving non-competes, contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes, patents, trade secrets, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights and other intellectual property disputes. Additionally, my background in the sciences enables me to successfully litigate matters on behalf of healthcare providers where science, medicine and the law converge.
I believe that clients are best served by a lawyer who takes the time to generate creative resolutions, both in and out of the courtroom, and has the experience to win trials when necessary. My experience in the courtroom allows me to guide my clients through complex disputes in a way that lessens the ambiguity of litigation and offers them a sense of assurance.
My ability to formulate and execute legal strategies, in consultation with my clients, allows us to obtain positive results. I know how hard clients have worked to create and grow their businesses, and so I will work just as hard to protect yours.
- Focuses on complex business and commercial litigation
- Counsels clients on insurance coverage and recovery issues for first-party and third-party claims
- Represents clients in civil litigation in federal and state courts, including unfair competition, false advertising, non-compete, trade secret litigation; patent, copyright, trademark and trade dress litigation; medical malpractice defense; products liability defense; defense of civil rights cases against jail medical providers; residential and commercial property and title disputes; commercial landlord/tenant disputes; and complex probate matters, including will and trust contests, guardianships, and breach of fiduciary duty issues
- Serves as an appellate practitioner and has advocated on behalf of clients in nearly every appellate court in Ohio and in Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Joined the firm as an associate in 2004; was elected partner in 2012
- Admiral Insurance Co. v. Fire-Dex, LLC, 2022 WL 16552973 (N.D. Ohio) -- obtained dismissal of insurance coverage action for lack of jurisdiction. Affirmed by Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Kennedy v. Western Reserve Senior Care, 207 N.E. 3d 143, 2023-Ohio-264 (11th Dist.) -- obtained directed verdict for physician based on expiration of medical claim statute of repose. Affirmed on appeal.
- We Project, Inc. v. Relavistic, N.D. Ohio No 1:20-cv-2873-JG Represented international communications company in complex dispute with its former officers. Key decisions: 2021 WL 1664057, 2021 WL 1195972, 2021 WL 1664057.
- Rock House Fitness Inc. v. Hines, 167 N.E. 3d499, 2021 -Ohio-245 (11th District) -- represented Ohio Dept. of Health in action challenging Covid-19 restrictions.
- Fisher v. Ahmed, 153 N.E. 3d 612, 2020-Ohio-1196 (9th Dist.) -- obtained dismissal of defamation complaint against county prosecutor; affirmed in-part on appeal.
- Goggans v. Tallman, 2018WL 4305215 (N.D. Ohio Sept. 10. 2018) -- obtained dismissal of complaint by inmate against jail medical providers on 1983 claim.
- FirstMerit Bank, N.A. v. Akron Gen. Med. Ctr., 5th Dist. Stark No. 2017CA00134, 2018-Ohio-2689 (July 9, 2018) – obtaining judgment for non-profit organization in dispute over trust funds directed to former Massillon Community Hospital, applying cy pres doctrine.
- Bolson Materials International, Inc. v. 3D Systems Corporation, 2017 WL 4169644 (N.D. Ohio, Sept. 20, 2017) – obtained summary judgment for 3D printing filament manufacturer on customer’s claims related to alleged breach of non-compete agreement. Also obtained summary judgment for clients on counterclaim for breach of contract. Reversed in-part and affirmed in-part by 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Eigel v. Utility Pipeline, Ltd., Case No. 5:17-cv-0328 (N.D. Ohio, July 28, 2017) – obtained preliminary injunction for minority shareholder to prevent former employer and majority shareholders from withholding over $6,000,000 due to client following employer’s merger on condition that minority shareholder agree to post-closing restrictive covenants.
- Evans v. Frantz, 2017 WL 2345601 (N.D. Ohio, Apr. 25, 2017) – obtained dismissal of complaint by inmate against jail medical providers on claims under 8th and 14th Amendment for deliberate indifference to medical needs.
- Polar Products, Inc. v. Techniche International, Case No. 5:15-cv-02608, 2016 WL 5118338 (N.D. Ohio, Sept. 20, 2016) – obtained dismissal of complaint for trademark infringement for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Croston v. Massillon Chiropractic Clinic, 5th Dist. Stark No. 2014CA00108, 2015-Ohio-25 – involving a plaintiff’s obligation to produce medical records in a medical malpractice case.
- Van Meter v. County of Hancock, 2014 WL 7174365 (N.D. Ohio, Dec. 8, 2014) – obtained summary judgment on constitutional claims by inmate against jail medical providers for deliberate indifference to medical needs.
- Allstate Property and Cas. Ins. Co. v. Mercury Plastics, 2014 WL 4635608 (D.Nev., Sept. 12, 2014) – obtained exclusion of plaintiff’s expert witness in complex products liability case representing manufacturer of components of water heater.
- Farmer v. Scioto County Bd. Of Commissioners, 2014 WL 3734334 (S.D.Ohio, July 29, 2014) – obtained dismissal of complaint by inmate against jail medical providers and county sheriff on claims for constitutional violations and medical negligence.
- Bailey v. Manor Care of Mayfield Hts., 4 N.E.3d 1071, 2013-Ohio-4927 (8th Dist.) – involving privilege of nursing home incident reports.
- Kirshner v. Fannie Mae, 969 N.E.2d 340, 2012-Ohio-286 (6th Dist.) – obtained summary judgment in lien priority dispute involving judgment creditor’s attempt to levy upon debtor’s equitable interest in property.
- One West Bank, FSB v. Miller, 5th Dist. Holmes No. 11CA013, 2011-Ohio-6467 – obtained summary judgment in lien priority dispute based on application of equitable estoppel doctrine.
- Georgopoulos v. Humility of Mary Health Partners, 195 Ohio App.3d 133, 958 N.E.2d 1268, 2011-Ohio-3123 (11th Dist.) – obtained summary judgment for hospital on physician’s claims of antitrust and unfair competition relating to peer review action.
- AultCare Corp. v. Roach, 5th Dist. Stark No. 2008CA00287, 2009-Ohio-6186 – member of litigation team that obtained summary judgment and permanent injunction against former broker in action for breach of contract and defamation.
- Rinderle v. Whispering Pines Health Care Center, 12th Dist. Fayette No. CA2007-12-041, 2008-Ohio-4168 – obtained affirmance of judgment granting nursing home’s motion to stay proceedings and enforce arbitration agreement.
- Ponder v. Kamienski, 9th Dist. Summit No. 23270, 2007-Ohio-5035 – obtained jury verdict for cardiovascular surgeon following two-week jury trial which was affirmed on appeal. Also obtained sanctions against plaintiff for frivolous conduct for failure to dismiss assistant surgeon despite lack of evidence supporting claim of malpractice.
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., cum laude, IP certificate program, 2004)
- Denison University, Granville, Ohio (B.A., 2001)
- Ohio Bar (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Pro-hac-vice admissions in federal courts in New York, California, Florida, Missouri, Alabama, South Carolina and Nevada
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars™ (2009-2018), as voted by his peers
- Head Boys Basketball Coach, Dalton High School
- Council President, Member Planning Commission: Meyers Lake Village, Ohio
- President: Shelter Cove Association, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee: The Wilderness Center, Wilmot, Ohio
- Elder: Jackson Friends Church
- Member: Defense Research Institute
- Member: Denison University “Varsity D” Society
- Legal Advisor: Jackson High School Mock Trial Team
- Board of Directors, Member and Coach: Jackson Youth Basketball Association (2005-2010)
- Coach: Jackson High School Baseball (2000-2004)
- Coach: Glen Oak High School Basketball (2010-2012)
- Coach: Doylestown Chippewa High School Basketball (2014-2017)
- Coach: Canton Central Catholic High School Basketball (2017 - 2022)
- Coach: AAU Youth Basketball
- Member: American Bar Association (Sixth Circuit reporter: ABA TIPS Appellate Advocacy Committee Newsletter, Appellate Advocacy General Committee Vice Chair)
- Member: Akron Bar Association
- Member: Stark County Bar Association
- "Is Your Company at Risk for a Cyber Attack," Breakfast with Buckingham (2018)
- “Cyberinsurance and Utilizing Counsel to Protect Your Confidential Information,” Breakfast with Buckingham (2016)
- Legal Concerns for Coaches, Wooster Community Hospital – (2010-11, 2015-18)
- “Avoiding Fraud in Business Transactions,” Stark County Bar Association (2013)
- "How to Wrongfully Compete and Steal Trade Secrets: A Primer," Stark County Bar Association (2011)
- “Legislative Update,” Tri-County Restaurant Association (2007)
- “The Medical Records War: What Does it Mean for Your Practice?” MD News (2016)
- “Fraud Detection and Prevention: What it Means for Your Practice,” MD News (2015)
- Contributor: “Is EP Liable if Patent Fails to Disclose Substance Abuse?” ED Legal Letter (2014)
- “Current Trends in Business and Commercial Litigation: How to Protect Your Company from Unfair Competition,” Book chapter co-authored with Mark Skakun, published by ExecSense, Inc. (2012)
- Contributor: “Did a Patient Threaten to Sue You? Don’t Panic or Argue,” ED Legal Letter (2011)
- Contributor: “Skeletons in Your Closet? Not Much Off Limits in Deposition,” ED Legal Letter (2011)
- Contributor: “What Can You Do About a Frivolous Lawsuit?” ED Legal Letter (2010)
- “The Medical Records Hangover: The Party’s Over,” MD News (2010)
- Contributor: “Can Another Provider’s Action Reduce Your Liability?” ED Legal Letter (2010)
- Contributor: “What’s Discoverable – and what’s not – in ED Medical Malpractice Cases?” ED Legal Letter (2009)
- Contributor: “In Danger of Being Sued? Don’t Go In To Denial,” ED Legal Letter (2009)
CONNECT WITH Justin
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.