Timothy A. Spirko
Partner | Cleveland
Areas of Practice
Assistant | Linda J. Lucas : [email protected]
For over 10 years, I have focused my practice on medical malpractice defense and nursing home defense. As a health and medicine attorney in this practice area, I defend physicians, hospitals, nursing homes, and healthcare practitioners against medical negligence claims.
My job entails more than just defending my clients’ cases, it involves helping my clients find confidence and ease amid what can often be a stressful process. I do so by thoroughly investigating each case, gaining my clients’ input and matching the case with the appropriate experts so we have the strongest defense possible.
No matter if we try the case or resolve the claim without trial, I keep you involved throughout the whole process. I work to ensure you develop my trust so that together we can find a positive resolution.
- Focuses on defense of medical malpractice claims, including pleading practice, conducting fact and expert depositions, mediation, arbitration, trials and appellate practice
- Handles malpractice cases, including nursing home defense, surgical issues, birth injuries, wrongful death, orthopedic issues, emergency medicine, and others, with numerous cases tried to verdict
- Managed hospital, long-term care and physician defense for numerous clients, including Kaiser Permanente, Ohio Permanente Medical Group, Hamlin & Burton Liability Management, Inc., ProAssurance/Medical Assurance, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation and HCR Manor Care
- Experience includes handling of matters throughout the entire litigation process, including argument before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Past experience includes handling of personal injury litigation and asbestos defense litigation, including conducting depositions, drafting pleadings, motions and discovery and preparing for trial, mediations, arbitrations and workers’ compensation hearings as staff attorney for Baker & Hostetler, LLP and as an associate for Friedman and Hoffman in Cleveland
- Extensive clerking experience with several Cleveland-area firms, including Meyers, Hentemann & Rea Co., LPA; Short, Shepherd & Stanton; Jacobson, Maynard & Tuschman Co., LPA; and Friedman, Domiano & Smith Co., LPA.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio (J.D., 1998)
- The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania (B.A., 1994)
- Ohio Bar
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® - Rising Star™ (2009) in Cincinnati Magazine, as voted by his peers
- Recipient: Dean’s List, while in Law School
- Recipient: CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Healthcare Law
- Intern: University Hospitals of Cleveland, while in Law School
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Three-part annual conference series on topics related to unexpected patient outcomes and professional litigation (2017-2018)
- Frequently lectures to physicians on medical legal issues
- Lecturer: “Public Health and Jurisprudence,” Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine (2008-2015)
- “Informed Consent: A ‘New’ Standard,” MD News (2012)
CONNECT WITH Timothy
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.