I am a seasoned business and finance attorney with a wide range of experience both as an in-house counsel and in private practice. I have a strong background in real estate transactions and finance. I work closely with business teams to structure complex loans, workouts and commercial loan proposals.
Throughout my career, I have worked collaboratively with my clients to help them analyze risk to make better business decisions.
- Joined Buckingham in January 2021.
- Documented, closed and conducted due diligence for hundreds of commercial real estate transactions through the country as both in-house and outside counsel. Collaborated with business teams in structuring complex loans and problem loan workouts, and advised senior management on commercial loan proposals.
- Reviewed, analyzed and drafted a wide array of commercial contracts for real estate, finance, asset purchase and sale, services, employment, licensing, letters of intent, business organization and others.
- Provided legal counsel in a variety of areas, including secured transactions, creditors' rights, litigation and dispute resolution, business organization, corporate governance, compliance, consumer law and trust.
- Extensive experience working with managed assets for several local and regional financial institutions. Supervised legal engagements on hundreds of commercial collection matters and advised senior management on major collection litigation issues and strategies.
- Leveraged in-house and outside legal resources by supervising and managing outside counsel legal service providers on litigation and transactional matters, and initiating in-house legal services.
- Represented purchaser in a $1.2 million acquisition of a restaurant leased to a national restaurant chain in Willoughby, Ohio for 1031 exchange.
- Documented and closed $10 million loan for sale-leaseback transaction involving nine commercial properties in six states.
- Documented and closed $30 million revolving development and construction loan for a multi-phase residential project in Henderson, NV.
- Negotiated and documented favorable loan work-out involving a troubled $5+ million historical building restoration project and numerous diversely interested parties in Cleveland, OH.
- Initiated in-house legal services, and consolidated and streamlined process for holding, managing and liquidating commercial real estate assets.
- Created and implemented policy and process for managing outside legal resources, established service standards with outside law firms.
- Education & Admissions
- Case Western Reserve University (JD, 1991)
- University of Houston (BS, 1988)
- Ohio Bar
- United States District Court
- Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- Professional & Civic
- Ohio State Bar
- Akron Bar Association
- Former Chair, Real Property and Environmental Law Section (2013)
- Presentations &
- <ul> <li><em>The Law of Real Estate Titles</em> and <em>Transfer of Title</em>, National Business Institute Seminar, "Title Law in Ohio," Youngstown, Ohio (2016)</li> <li><em>Residential Real Estate Financing</em>, Ohio State Bar Association Seminar, "Introduction to Real Estate Practice," Cleveland, Ohio (2012)</li> </ul>