Susan C. Rodgers
Employment & Labor Practice Group Leader
I am an employment and labor attorney. I serve as a resource for business owners, management teams and human resources directors as I guide them through the day-to-day issues that arise with employment and labor law matters.
I defend my clients before the National Labor Relations Board, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and state federal and courts. I aim to be on the front end for my clients so I can help prevent employment and labor lawsuits. However, when the risk of litigation is present, I instill in my clients the confidence to make difficult choices that will protect them, their staff, and their business.
The greatest gift I give to clients is my ability to see beyond the law and into the realities of their workplace. I know every decision they make can impact one, or all, employees. That’s why I take the time to understand my clients’ business goals and ensure my work aligns with their needs. I am here to help my clients sit well with the decisions they make so they can run a positive, effective and productive work environment.
- Serves as chair of the Employment & Labor Practice Group, as Associate General Counsel and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee
- Served as general counsel for the firm and was previously a member of the firm’s board of managers
- Actively involved in advising and educating clients regarding compliance with and handling a variety of employment and labor issues, including Title VII, age discrimination, and disability
- Has represented employers before state and federal courts as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and the National Labor Relations Board
- Extensive experience in the development, implementation, and review of corporate personnel policies and procedures
- Has experience performing investigations regarding sexual harassment and sexual misconduct for corporations and higher education institutions (Title IX-related investigations)
- Makes presentations regarding employment and discrimination issues
- Prior to joining the Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC, was director at Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A.
- Served as a member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review
- Education & Admissions
- The University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio (J.D., 1991)
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (B.A., 1988)
- University of Oxford – New Oxford College, Oxford, England
- Ohio Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Awards & Honors
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ (2019)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2019)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® "Women in Law" Business Edition for Employment & Labor Law (2016)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2011-2012, 2015-2019), as voted by her peers
- Professional & Civic
- Vice President, Board of Trustees: Stark County District Library
- Trustee: GentleBrook, Inc. fka Hartville Homes, Inc.
- Member: 9th Class, Leadership Stark County
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Member: Stark County Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <strong>Presentations:</strong> <ul> <li>"The Battle of the Depositions in a Wrongful Discharge Case," "What Would You Do?,"and "Recent Developments that Impact the Management of Your Workforce," Buckingham's Employment Seminar (2015)</li> <li>“Managing Disabilities and Leaves of Absence under the ADA, FMLA and PDA," Buckingham's Employment Seminar (2014)</li> <li>“Employment and Labor Implications of the Affordable Care Act” Stark County Medical Society (2014)</li> <li>“Restrictive Covenants: Paper Agreements in an Electronic Age,” Buckingham's Employment Seminar (2011)</li> <li>“What’s New, Different, & On the Horizon in Labor & Employment Law,” OHCA Seminar (2010)</li> <li>“Understanding the Proposed Employee Free Choice Act and How You Can Be Proactive,” Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC Client Seminar (2009)</li> <li>“Hot Topics in the Law for Personnel Managers,” Starkjobs.com seminar (2008)</li> <li>“Combating Leave Abuse,” Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC Employment & Workers’ Compensation Seminar (2008)</li> <li>“Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policies: Safety is an Important Component,” Akron Canton Safety Counsel (2008)</li> <li>“The Ohio Healthy Families Act: A Legislative Update,” Akron SHRM seminar (2008)</li> <li>“What is Harassment, and How Should Your Company Respond?,” AkronWorks.com seminar (2008) and Starkjobs.com seminar (2008)</li> <li>“Sexual Harassment – How To Protect Your Business,” Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce Successful Women in Business (2007)</li> <li>“Employee Handbook Workshop,” Starkjobs.com (2007)</li> <li>“Eight Ways to Protect Your Company from Employment Liability,” Garfield Heights Chamber of Commerce (2007)</li> <li>“Employment Law Update: New Developments and Legal Trends,” Wayne Area Human Resource Association (2007)</li> <li>“Top Ten Things Employers Can Do to Avoid Employment Law Liability,” Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC Annual Real Estate & Construction Seminar (2007)</li> <li>“Employee Handbook Workshop,” Starkjobs.com Training Seminar (2007)</li> <li>“Minimum Wage, Smoking Ban, and Trends in Employment Litigation,” SHRM Seminar (2007)</li> <li>“Retaliation or Reasonable Management Decision? The Supreme Court Raises the Stakes for Employers,” Canton Akron Safety Council (2006)</li> <li>“Representing a Business in Distress,” Stark County Bar Association Corporate Law Committee (2006)</li> <li>“Trends and Pitfalls- Case Law Update,” Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC Employment & Workers’ Compensation Seminar, Cleveland, OH (2005)</li> </ul> <strong>Publications:</strong> <ul> <li>"<a href="http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20160201/BLOGS05/160129782/businesses-should-be-proactive-and-prepared-for-the-final-white" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Businesses should be proactive and prepared for the final white collar exemption rules</a>," <em>Crain's Cleveland Business- Akron Edition</em> (2016)</li> <li>"<a href="http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20151004/CUSTOM04/310049999/avoiding-the-pits-of-cherry-picking-how-to-deal-with-the-risks-of#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccl-weekly&utm_campaign=ccl-weekly-20151004" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Avoiding the Pits of Cherry Picking: How to Deal with the Risks of Hiring Employees Covered by Non-Compete Agreements</a>," <em>Crain's Cleveland Business blog</em> (2015)</li> <li>Quoted in "<a href="http://www.akronlegalnews.com/editorial/13343" target="_blank" rel="noopener">DOL Proposal Could Lead to Overtime for Millions of White-Collar Workers</a>," <em>Akron Legal News</em> (2015)</li> <li>Prior member of the Board of Contributors for <em>The Repository</em>, and prepared a monthly column for the newspaper.</li> <li>“Misclassification of Employees as Independent Contractors” <em>Crain's Cleveland Business</em> (2014)</li> <li>“What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Contesting Unemployment Compensation Claims,” <em>MD News</em> (2011)</li> <li>Quoted: “Wage and hour litigation on the rise,” <em>Akron Legal News</em> (2010)</li> </ul>