Melinda Smith Yeargin
I am a business litigator. I handle disputes that have been filed in court or are heading to court. I guide my clients through each step of litigation from the pre-suit negotiation, early stages of discovery and motion practice, through trial and appeal.
I work with business owners who find themselves locked in disputes with competitors, suppliers, customers, shareholders, business partners, insurers, contractors and employees. In many cases, I am able to work with my clients on advance planning to address insurance coverage and industry compliance concerns in order to minimize the risk of future litigation.
My goal is to provide great value to clients by allowing you to focus on your business. No matter the need, you can trust that I will handle your litigation needs appropriately and professionally.
- Worked as a judicial attorney at the Court of Appeals of Ohio, Ninth Appellate District
- Previously worked as a litigation associate at Scanlon & Gearinger, Co., LPA, and focused on motor vehicle collisions, medical malpractice, product liability, and employment matters
- Started career as an intern at the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and worked as a law clerk at the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- While in law school, also worked at the University of Akron School of Law Appellate Review Clinic, drafted appellate briefs and acted as a student coordinator for the Mahoning County Inmate Assistance Program
- Worked at the University of Akron School of Law as an adjunct professor of legal writing
- Education & Admissions
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Akron School of Law Board of Trustees Scholarship
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pennsylvania (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Ohio Bar
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Professional & Civic
- Member, Board of Directors: Vantage Aging (Past Chair)
- Fellow: Akron Bar Association Foundation
- Past Member, Board of Trustees: Akron Bar Association
- Past Member, Fee Arbitration Committee: Akron Bar Association
- Past Chairperson, Pro Bono Committee: Akron Bar Association
- Past Chairperson, Scholarship Committee: Akron Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <strong>Presentations:</strong> <ul> <li>“Attractive Nuisance Doctrine,” Insurance and Negligence Law Seminar Series (2007)</li> <li>“Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Hit-and-Run and One Car Accident Situations,” Insurance Law/Tort Law Seminar (2006)</li> </ul> <strong>Publications:</strong> <ul> <li>“Side Switching Experts: Can They Testify in Ohio?” <em>Ohio Trial, Volume 15, Issue 3,</em> (2005)</li> <li>Melinda E. Smith, Note: “Tort Immunity for Volunteers in Ohio: Zivich v. Mentor Soccer Club, Inc.,” <em>32 AKRON L. Rev. 699</em> (1999)</li> <li>Melinda E. Smith, Comment: “Criminal Defense Attorneys and Noncitizen Clients: Understanding Immigrants, Basic Immigration Law & How Recent Changes in Those Laws May Affect Your Criminal Cases,” <em>33 Akron L. Rev.163 (</em>1999)</li> </ul>