Lucas W. Murray
I typically represent small to midsize businesses (from 1 to 500 employees) as outside general corporate counsel on day to day contract matters, organizational documents, buy-sell agreements, and succession planning as well as advising clients on mergers and acquisitions and real estate transactions. I work closely with my partners that specialize in litigation, workers’ compensation, labor and employment, complex tax and securities matters, and estate planning to ensure that a business is properly represented in all areas of law.
Because I represent a variety of organizations, each with unique needs, I strive to understand the clients’ businesses, challenges and objectives so I can offer comprehensive guidance and exceed expectations. The strength of integrity and trust within the relationships I haves with clients is key to being an effective sounding board and close advisor to the businesses and clients I am privileged to represent.
- Counsels clients in all aspects of their business including entity formation, entity selection, and business succession planning
- Extensive experience in representing clients in sophisticated mergers and acquisitions
- Advises clients in the merger, sale, or acquisition of assets or equity of business including corporate organizing and reorganizing, stock/unit purchase and redemption agreements, asset purchase agreements, and buy-sell agreements
- Provides representation to clients as general corporate counsel, including employment and noncompetition agreements, supply, distribution, manufacturing and vendor agreements, standard terms and conditions for services or sale of products, and more
- Counsels clients in the acquisition and leasing of commercial and residential real estate also including promissory notes for residential and commercial transactions
- Assists in developing employee benefit strategies for contract negotiations, mergers, acquisitions, and reductions in force
- Represented start-up private equity firm in e-commerce business roll-up, including various capital and debt raises.
- Represented a leading national transportation company in a stock acquisition for in excess of ~$65 million in a competitive auction bid process, involving representation and warranty insurance.
- Represented a leading national transportation company in a stock acquisition for in excess of ~$17 million
- Represented leading convenience store and gasoline chains business in multiple acquisitions of convenience store and gasoline chains, national QSR franchises, and commercial real estate for continued expansion.
- Represented buyers in acquisition of various commercial real estate properties.
- Represented seller of a closely held cleaning and restoration business in sale of its assets.
- Represented growing food industry franchise owner in s-corporation reorganization and acquisition of several new territories.
- Represented buyers in acquisition of closely held manufacturing company and HVAC company.
- Represented various buyers and sellers in the sale of insurance agencies.
- Represented seller of a veterinary clinic in sale of assets and acquisition of rollover equity in buyer.
- Represented seller in the sale of a closely held golf course.
- Education & Admissions
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., 2014)
- The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (Bachelor's of Business Administration in Corporate Financial Management) 2011
- Admissions Ohio Bar
- Awards & Honors
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars™ (2022), as voted by his peers
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch,” Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch,” Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Real Estate Law (2022)
- yStark! Twenty under 40 award recipient (2020)
- Professional & Civic
- Member, Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio - Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Golf Outing Committee Chair
- Vice President, Canton South Advance Education Foundation
- Massillon Development Foundation – Board of Directors
- Simply Give, Board of Directors
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Stark County Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <ul> <li><em>“Employee Benefits Update – Including the Affordable Care Act”</em> (2015)</li> <li><em>“Keeping Up With Your 401K Plan Qualifications and Plan Design” </em>MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition March/April 2016</li> <li><em>“Potential Changes for Retirement Plan Investment Fiduciaries” </em>MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition May/June 2016</li> <li><em>“Notice to Patients of Terminating Physicians”</em> - Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition July/August 2016</li> <li><em>“Securing Your Cash Balance Plan Funding During Ownership Change</em>s” - Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition September/October 2016</li> <li><em>“Legislative Updates to the Ohio Corporation Law and Limited Liability Act”</em> - Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition November/December 2016</li> <li>“<em>2016 Election Update: Employer Sponsored Health Care and the ACA”-</em> Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/ Akron/Canton Edition January/February 2017</li> <li><em>“President Trump Pumps the Breaks on the Fiduciary Duty Rule”</em> - Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition March/April 2017</li> <li><em>“The Rise and Fall of the American Health Care Act”-</em> Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition May/June 2017</li> <li><em>“An Ounce of Prevention” –</em> Published MD News Magazine Cleveland/Akron/Canton Edition July/August 2017</li> </ul>