Katie J. Duffy
I protect organizations and give them peace of mind by counseling them on every day issues. After handling employment issues as in-house counsel to a large institution, I am able to understand the employer’s situation and help them navigate to a better solution.
I also work with clients to develop a happy and productive workplace through strong policies and trainings and by conducting comprehensive and fair investigations when necessary. Additionally, I assist educational organizations with Title IX investigations that are often complex, sensitive and urgent.
As a Certified Information Privacy Professional, I work with clients to develop data privacy and security solutions, including methods to appropriately maintain employee and customer information. I also work with clients to train their employees on best practices to protect sensitive information.
My unique background drafting laws for the Massachusetts State Senate allows me to quickly interpret, explain and navigate the law to develop effective strategies for my clients.
I understand the common pitfalls and best practices in these areas of law, and use my knowledge to help employers and educational institutions create positive, safe and productive environments.
- Joined Buckingham's Employment & Labor Practice Group in 2018
- Conduct thorough, fair and impartial investigations for claims of discrimination and harassment for corporations and educational institutions
- Provide trainings on harassment, discrimination, and data privacy
- Advise clients on employment issues, including personnel policies, requests for leave, discrimination and harassment, and various contracts and agreements
- Previous Managing Attorney for the Massachusetts Office of Senate Counsel
- Handled Senate employment issues, including harassment and discrimination, investigations, personnel policies, resolution of employment conflicts and draft legislation
- Advised Senators and their staff on legal and ethical issues and reviewed bills for constitutionality and pre-emption.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination – Certified Discrimination Prevention Program
- Education & Admissions
- New England Law Boston, Boston, Massachusetts (J.D., 2011)
- Elon University, Elon, North Carolina (Dual B.A. 2008)
- Massachusetts Bar
- Ohio Bar
- Presentations &
- Presentation: <ul> <li>"Privacy and Your Employees: Before, During and After Their Employment," Ohio Chamber HR Academy Webinar (2018)</li> </ul>