Joshua E. O’Farrell
Partner | Akron | Canton
Oil & Gas Practice Group Leader
Areas of Practice
As a litigator, I represent clients faced with various legal issues in the areas of commercial litigation, personal injury litigation, real property disputes, and oil and gas litigation. I also represent landowners throughout Ohio in oil and gas lease negotiations, pipeline right-of-way agreement negotiations, and mineral sale transactions. I have litigated on behalf of many individuals and businesses on significant matters throughout Ohio courts and have successfully argued two cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio. I pride myself on my attention to detail and ability to succinctly and persuasively communicate my client’s position in briefing and motion practice. Preparation is the foundation to success and I am always prepared for the challenges I face on behalf of my clients.
My clients are important to me, so I work to cultivate relationships built on trust and transparency. I take time to get to know my clients so that I can better understand and resolve their various legal issues, offer proactive guidance, and help them achieve their desired outcomes. If trial is necessary, I will fight for my clients in the courtroom to ensure their interests are protected.
As a litigator, I represent clients faced with various legal issues in the areas of commercial litigation, personal injury litigation, real property disputes, and oil and gas litigation
News & Articles
- Joined Buckingham's Litigation practice group in 2019 and is Buckingham’s Oil and Gas Leader
- Successfully argued two cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio: Barclay Petroleum, Inc. v. Matthew Bailey, Co-Trustee of the Bailey Family Trust Dated 1/12/2007, et al., 156 Ohio St. 3d 77, 2018- Ohio-5136 and French et al. v. Ascent Resources – Utica, LLC, Slip Opinion No. 2022-Ohio-869.
- Former member of the Ohio House of Representatives and served on the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee, the Financial Institutions Committee, the Rules and Reference Committee, and the State Government Committee
- REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
- Negotiated $8,500,000 settlement on behalf of clients who incurred catastrophic injuries when struck by a parcel delivery company while riding on their motorcycle (2018)
- Negotiated settlement in excess of $700,000 (an increase of over 100%), after extensive discovery and depositions, on behalf of preschool aged autistic child who was abused by his teacher and aide
- 1,200 acre oil and gas leasing negotiation in Harrison County resulting in client receiving in excess of $15,000,000 (2018)
- 350 acre oil and gas leasing/sale negotiation in Jefferson County resulting in client receiving $7,000,000 (2018)
- Lead negotiator for over 40 landowners affected by TransCanada’s Buckeye Xpress Pipeline resulting in payment of over $10,000,000 (2017 – 2018)
- Negotiated oil and gas lease for city of St. Clairsville resulting in city receiving $1,700,000 (2015)
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2004)
- Ohio Bar
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars™ (2016-2021), as voted by his peers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2024)
- Recognized by the Ohio Farm Bureau Pipeline and Electric Line Easement Issues as a leading attorney in the oil & gas industry
- Member: American Association of Justice
- Member: Ohio Association of Justice
- Member: Ohio Farm Bureau
- Member: Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Past President
- Member: Stark County Bar Association
- Frequent presenter for the Ohio Farm Bureau on various topics relating to legal issues in the oil & gas industry
CONNECT WITH Joshua
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.