John F. Bodie, Jr.
I am a courtroom lawyer with over 20 years’ experience representing physicians, hospitals, nursing homes, healthcare facilities, lawyers and other professionals when confronted with professional negligence claims.
My clients turn to me to assist and defend them, often in their most difficult times when their reputations, competence, and care have been placed in question. Because litigation and trials of professional negligence matters are often fraught with clients saddled with emotional concerns, fear, and uncertainty, I am there to address and help relieve these issues while continually and aggressively moving forward to achieve satisfactory results.
I strive to make myself immediately available and accessible when trouble strikes and to respond professionally and reassuringly to your issues and concerns. You can be confident that I represent and defend your interests, even under the most difficult circumstances.
- Specializes in medical malpractice litigation and trial practice involving professional negligence
- Has handled more than 1,000 professional negligence matters from inception to closing, and has led counsel in numerous trials to verdict since 1991
- Has been sought out as a speaker and presenter across the country to physicians, attorneys, students, residents, and other healthcare providers in the areas of profession negligence and trial tactics
- Previously served as an adjunct-associate professor for the University of Toledo Medical Center
- Joined Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC in 2014 after practicing with other defense firms throughout Ohio
- Education & Admissions
- University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, Ohio (J.D., 1991)
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (B.A., 1988)
- Ohio State Bar (1991)
- Michigan State Bar (2008)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio (1992)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio (2009)
- Awards & Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2005-2021)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Business Edition® for Personal Injury Litigation and Medical Malpractice Law (2015)
- Named the Best Lawyers in America® 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” in the Toledo area for Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® list (2020), as voted by his peers
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars™ (2005-2006), as voted by his peers
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
- Professional & Civic
- Member: Ohio Association of Civil Trial Lawyers
- Member: Defense Research Institute
- Graduate: National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Discovery Deposition Program (1994)
- Graduate: National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Full Trial Program (1994)
- Member: Michigan State Bar Association
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Member: Toledo Bar Association
- Member: Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <strong>Presentations:</strong> <ul> <li>“Guardianship and Informed Consent,” Medical University of Ohio at Toledo, fka Medical College of Ohio (1998)</li> <li>“Medical Malpractice in Ohio,” Continuing Legal Education Seminar, sponsored by National Business Institute (1998)</li> <li>Medical Malpractice Seminar, MUOT, fka MCO/TBA (2002)</li> <li>Medical Malpractice Seminar, MUOT, fka MCO/TBA (2004)</li> <li>“Medical/Legal Issues for Radiation Oncology Therapists,” Northwest Imaging Forums (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)</li> <li>“Medical/Legal Issues for MRI Technologists,” Northwest Imaging Forums (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007)</li> <li>“Medical/Legal Issues for CT Technologists,” Northwest Imaging Forums (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007)</li> <li>“Effective Deposition Techniques,” National Business Institute (2004)</li> <li>“Medical/Legal Issues Review,” University of Toledo, Orthopedic residency program, Dr. Nabil Ebraheim, residency program director (2005, 2006)</li> <li>“Malpractice and Risk Management in the Age of EHRs.” The Ohio Dermatologic Society, Inc., Annual Meeting (2013)</li> </ul> <strong>Publications:</strong> "Ohio Living Wills and Advanced Directives for Medical Care," <em><a href="http://viewer.e-digitaledition.com/i/589857-november-december-2015" target="_blank" rel="noopener">MD News</a></em> (2015)