James D. Kraus
Beyond being a corporate lawyer, I act as both a business and legal advisor to my clients in the manufacturing, distribution, professional and services sectors. I serve my clients as their general counsel, helping them resolve their day to day issues as well as managing their complex transactional matters.
Clients seek my assistance in every stage of their business structuring, from their infancy as start-ups, to their times of capital maturity and growth, until they seek my counsel with business succession planning. During all of these phases I negotiate and draft licenses and purchase and sale documents for my clients, including the buying and selling of businesses and joint ventures.
My securities law experience is integral to expanding capital for existing companies as they prosper. My goal is to help all of my clients find success in their business endeavors, and to resolve any issues that may stand in the way of that success.
- Practice focuses on choice of entity, business succession and estate planning, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, securities and finance, and municipal law
- Joined the firm as an associate attorney in 1983; was elected partner in 1990
- Education & Admissions
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., cum laude, 1983)
- The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (B.A., 1979)
- Ohio Bar (1983)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth District
- Awards & Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2020)
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Corporate Law (2012)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2005), as voted by his peers
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar
- Professional & Civic
- Director and Assistant Secretary: National Inventors Hall of Fame, Inc.
- Director and Secretary: Henry V. and Frances W. Christenson Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors: Kustom US, Inc
- Secretary, Executive Committee and Member, Board of Directors: Bluecoats, Incorporated
- Member and Secretary: The Sharon Golf Club
- Member: Leadership Akron Class XII
- Member: Leadership Akron Alumni Association
- Director and Vice-Chair: Akron Zoological Park Board of Trustees
- Emeritus Director and Chair: Keep Akron Beautiful, Inc.
- Member and Chair: Bath Township Zoning Commission
- Member: Bath Township Blue Ribbon Commission
- Director and President: The Health Education Center of Akron, Inc.
- Member: Northwest Summit County Rotary, Inc.
- Director and President: Revere Gridiron Club
- Member: Akron Bar Association
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association