I am a litigator with broad experience representing diverse clients in complex commercial and criminal litigation at the state and federal levels. My passion for justice and my love for the law as an attorney and a local legislator make me a fierce advocate for my clients. Clients come to me with important legal problems, and I work tirelessly to help them achieve the best possible outcomes.
Extensive experience in federal and state courts and arbitration, including first-chair trial experience. General Corporate Litigation
- First chair trial attorney for a materials manufacturer in a successful breach of contract lawsuit against two principals of a contracting company in a 1.5-week jury trial in the Summit County Court of Common Pleas that resulted in two unanimous verdicts and allowed compensatory damages nearing $700,000 against each defendant.
- Primary responsibility for representation of corporate clients in state and federal courts.
- Represented employers in racial, sex, and age discrimination suits.
- Represented hospital and industrial employers in employer intentional tort cases in state and federal courts.
- Represented national financial institutions in various types of litigation, including nationwide class actions.
- Represented clients before appellate courts throughout Ohio. Wrote amicus briefs for submission to the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Represented commercial clients in multiple arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, both at in-person hearings and through briefing. Extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution processes, both private and court-based. Successfully resolved many cases through arbitration and mediation.
- Represented oil and gas producers in landowner lawsuits and other disputes throughout Ohio.
- Represented a producer at an in-person arbitration hearing in Tuscarawas County, resulting in a favorable decision.
- Acted as primary associate representing national medical institutions in federal antitrust class actions regarding nurses’ wages.
- Primary responsibility for representation of an Ohio client under investigation with the US Department of Justice for wrongdoing associated with state contracts. Engaged in meetings and made presentations to Antitrust Division in Cleveland.
- Participated in the defense of companies in Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission inquiries and internal investigations relating to accrual and loss contingency accounting, revenue recognition, bill and hold-related compliance, capitalization, and amortization-related accounting issues.
- Assisted with independent internal investigations for audit committees or special committees of the boards of directors in matters involving allegations of financial wrongdoing relating to accounting and disclosure issues, insurance matters, stock options backdating, and breaches of fiduciary duty by senior executives.
- Acted as lead counsel on approximately 60 consumer cases on behalf of a client. Responsible for all consumer cases filed in Nebraska and Alabama. Implemented national strategy through early case evaluation and specific litigation. Successfully resolved approximately 45 cases through dispositive motions or favorable settlements.
- Acted as lead associate on defense of consumer sales practices act and contract disputes.
- Acted as senior associate on all tobacco-related cases in Louisiana. Acted as senior associate on all cases and claims against Yamaha in Texas, Oklahoma, New York, New Jersey, and Vermont related to liability for accidents involving the client's utility vehicle. Involved in nationwide coordination of trial strategy, oversight of local counsel, depositions, and site and vehicle inspections.
- Assisted with defense of product liability cases in California and New York.
- Assisted with the defense of an airplane engine manufacturer in the successful decertification of a class of aircraft owners affected by a service bulletin regarding engine crankshafts.
- Represented corporate policyholders in lawsuits against their insurers.
- Assisted with representation of client in suit against Lloyd’s of London. Engaged in all stages of trial preparation up to granting of our Summary Judgment Motion one week before the trial date.
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor MI (Juris Doctor), cum laude, May 2005 Note Editor, Michigan Journal of Law Reform
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, May 2002
- Ohio (2005); Northern District of Ohio; Southern District of Ohio; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member-at-Large, Summit County Council (2022-Present)
- Community Legal Aid Board of Trustees, Member (2015-Present); Chair, Strategic Planning Committee; Member, Investment and Service Provision Committees. Chair, Personnel Committee.
- Co-Chair, Akron Bar Association Federal Courts Committee (2014-2016).
- Graduate, Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy Class of 2011.
- Barrister, Scanlon/Bell Inn of Court.
- Named to “Ohio Super Lawyers: Rising Stars” for 2014 and 2015.
- Member/Vice-Chair, Broadview Heights Board of Zoning Appeals, 2019-2021.
- First Christian Church of Cuyahoga Falls, Deacon (1999-present), Member (1993-present)
- Western Reserve Academy, Alumni Volunteer (2008-present); Waring Prize Committee (2013-present).
- Old Trail School, Parent Volunteer, Room Coordinator, and Library Volunteer Coordinator (2014-2019) and Substitute Teacher (2017-2023).
CONNECT WITH Erin
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.