Derrick S. Haines
As a business attorney, I focus my practice on guiding clients through complex corporate transactions, equity and debt investments, and real estate development matters. I have advised clients on mergers and acquisitions, capital raises and real estate development and investment projects in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
In addition, I also provide guidance on general business matters and often serve as outside counsel to small and midsize businesses in northern Ohio. No matter the issue or opportunity my clients face, I work with them to understand what is important and help them achieve their business objectives.
- Structure, draft, negotiate and advise on entity, ownership, equity, and investment structures for commercial real estate projects and investments, including significant experience in the senior living industry.
- Advise clients on federal and state securities laws and their implications on their projects, investment structures, and help facilitate their capital raising needs.
- Represent clients in a variety of corporate transactions and joint ventures, including both buyers and sellers in acquisitions and dispositions of businesses in a wide array of industries.
- Represent clients in private equity and venture capital transactions, including Series A-Preferred Stock transactions and other forms of equity and debt financings.
- Routinely represent and advise clients on a broad range of issues regarding commercial real estate ownership and development, including acquisitions, financing, leasing and dispositions, as well as advising and implementing strategies regarding tax deferred exchanges pursuant to IRC 1031.
- Represent clients on entity formation and restructurings, including the creation of succession planning entities and the use of “family limited liability companies.”
- Represent healthcare providers on corporate structures, governance issues, joint ventures and management agreements, as well as general business and employment matters.
- Represent businesses on general corporate matters and draft and negotiate various business and commercial agreements.
- Education & Admissions
- The University of Akron School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- The University of Akron (Master of Business Adminstration, 2012)
- The University of Mount Union (B.A., 2007)
- Ohio Bar
- Professional & Civic
- American Bar Association
- Member of the ABA’s Subcommittee for Short Form Model Acquisition Agreements
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Form Operating Agreements Working Group
- Stark County Bar Association
- American Bar Association