David J. Hrina
I am a business lawyer with an engineering background and an analytical approach to problem solving. I specialize in the fields of intellectual property, business law and environmental law. I help individuals and businesses obtain, protect, monetize, enforce and defend their intellectual property including, without limitation, patents, trademarks, copyrights and confidential information – the lifeblood of your business.
My goal is to help you resolve matters before disclosing your intellectual property to a third party so that we can work together to best protect your intellectual property in a cost-effective manner. I also help individuals and businesses avoid, calculate and mitigate environmental risks associated with the ownership and/or use of real property. I will guide you through issues that arise before acquiring or leasing non-residential real property so we can work together to achieve your goals without assuming unnecessary risk.
In many circumstances, I serve not only as my clients’ business attorney, but as their trustworthy advisor. I am able to prevent and resolve issues for business clients across different areas of the law to ensure you receive valuable, comprehensive legal counsel.
- Prepares and prosecutes patent applications, trademark/service mark applications and copyright applications
- Challenges and defends the validity of intellectual property rights, the purchase/sale and licensing of intellectual property rights, and the preparation of various forms of opinions relative to intellectual property rights
- Litigates various intellectual property matters including patent, trademark, copyright and trade dress infringement, and the misappropriation of trade secrets
- Advises clients on day to day business matters and routinely drafts and negotiates contracts on behalf of clients
- Involved in the creation, acquisition and sale of businesses and assets
- Advises clients on how to avoid, calculate and mitigate environmental risks associated with the ownership and/or use of real property
- Serves on the firm’s Technology Committee, Recruiting and Hiring Committee, and the Paralegal Committee
- Served as an engineer with the Ohio Department of Transportation (“ODOT”) where he was responsible for the development of the District Four Annual Work Plan (with an annual construction budget of over $80 million), and developed a computer-based prioritization system to track deficient bridges and pavements in six counties
- Received the ODOT Director’s Silver Mug for Excellence in Government in 1997 and Outstanding Employee of the Year honors in 1994, 1996 and 1997
- Education & Admissions
- University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., magna cum laude, 2000)
- Youngstown State University, Youngstown, Ohio (M.S.C.E., 1995; B.E.C.E., 1993)
- Ohio Bar
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Awards & Honors
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® (2017-2018)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2015-2017), as voted by his peers
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars™ (2005, 2006, 2009-2010) Cincinnati, as voted by his peers
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of high to very high legal ability and very high ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
- Professional & Civic
- Adjunct Professor: The University of Akron School of Law (Basic and Intermediate Legal Communications)
- Board Member: Junior Achievement
- Member: Akron Bar Association
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Mahoning County Bar Association
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Presentations &
- <strong>Presentations:</strong> <ul> <li>“Intellectual Property for the General Practitioner” (2005)</li> </ul> <strong>Publications:</strong> <ul> <li>“The Future of IOLTA: Has the Death Knell Been Sounded for Mandatory IOLTA Programs?” 32 Akron L. Rev.301 (1991)</li> <li>“<a href="https://www.bdblaw.com/astm-issues-new-standard-for-conducting-phase-i-environmental-site-assessments/">ASTM Issues New Standard for Conducting Phase I Environmental Site Assessments</a>,” Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLC Real Estate & Construction blog (2014)</li> </ul>