For over 35 years I have helped financial institutions structure commercial lending transactions for borrowers across a variety of industries. As a corporate finance attorney, I focus not only on getting the loans on the books for my clients; I work with my clients in developing and executing a plan for managing the loan assets if the road gets rocky and the lender needs an exit strategy.
Often times I act as the quarterback of the transaction in coordinating other firm resources required to address tax, real property, construction or intellectual property issues that may arise.
I am an effective advocate for my clients, not a deal killer. I will provide you the best advice based on my experience. You will make the informed business decisions that are right for you. My personal objective is to be a trusted resource for my clients. I promise to give you the answers you need in order to make the best decisions for your business.
- Serves on the firm's Executive Committee
- Joined the firm in 2016
- Focuses practice on structuring and documenting commercial loan transactions, representing secured and unsecured creditors in forbearance, restructurings and bankruptcies, all aspects of sales, acquisition and leasing of commercial real estate and the acquisition of and lending to businesses
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio (J.D., 1980)
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio (M.B.A., 1986)
- University of Buffalo, Buffalo, New York (B.A., 1976)
- New York
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2024)
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” Real Estate Law (2022)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2006-2023), as voted by his peers
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar
- Member, Advisory Board: Chicago Title Insurance Company (Greater Cleveland)
- Member: International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member: Blue Coats (Cuyahoga County)
- Member: Turnaround Management Association
- Member: Estate Planning Council of Greater Cleveland
- Member: Union Club
- Member: Leadership Cleveland Class of 2011
- Member: Knights of Columbus
- Board Member: Arthritis Foundation of Northeast Ohio
- Secretary and Board Member: ICA Art Conservation
- Board Member: Lakewood Catholic Academy
- Board Member, Governing Board: Lexwork International
- Member: Mortgage Bankers Association
- Vice President and Board Member: Transitional Housing, Inc
CONNECT WITH Carl
Our attorneys will provide a collaborative, thoughtful approach to your legal needs. We look forward to connecting with you.