Practice Area & Professional Experience
- Joined the Firm as an associate attorney in 1976 and was elected a partner in 1982.
- Serves as Chair of the Business Practice Group.
- Former Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group.
- Previous Member of the Board of Directors from 1987-2001.
- On the faculty of the University of Akron Master of Taxation Program.
- Served on the committees which drafted the Ohio statutes establishing a “bright-line” test for residency and authorizing Liability Companies. Mr. Malone continues toserve on the committee that monitors and proposes amendments for the Limited Liability Company legislation.
The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio (J.D., summa cum laude, 1976)
Mount Union College, Alliance, Ohio (B.A., magna cum laude, 1973)
Bar Admissions & Associations
Ohio Bar (1976)
Member: American Bar Association
Member: Ohio State Bar Association (Past Chair, Federal Tax Committee; Member, Ohio Limited Liability Company Statute Subcommittee)
Member: Akron Bar Association (Member, Multi-Jurisdictional Practice Committee)
Member: Akron Bar Foundation
Awards & Honors
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1987 - 2015).
- Named The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Lawyer of the Year in the Akron area for Tax Law.
- Received special recognition for 20 consecutive years or more as one of The Best Lawyers in America®.
- Recognized as one of Ohio's Super Lawyers® (2004 - 2013), as voted by his peers.
- Recognized in the 2009 Corporate Counsel Edition and the 2011 Business Edition ofSuper Lawyers® for Mergers & Acquisitions.
Professional & Civic Involvement
President: Akron Bar Foundation
Trustee: Akron Community Foundation
Member, Board of Trustees: Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges
Board Member: Leadership Akron
Board Member: Bluecoats, Inc.
Trustee: Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce
Member: Akron Tax Club
President: University of Akron Finance Department Advisory Committee
Trustee: Hiram College
Member: Akron Estate Planning Council
Faculty: The University of Akron College of Law, Business Graduate School and Master of Taxation Program, teaching classes on Mergers and Acquisitions.
Presentations & Publications
He has written articles on various tax subjects which have appeared in:
The University of Akron Law Review
The University of Akron Tax Journal
CCH Financial and Estate Planning Guide
Ohio CPA Journal
“Fisher and Price: The End of Annual Exclusion Gifts of FLP Interests, or Mere Child’s Play?,” Taxes- The Tax Magazine® (October 2011)
"The Use of Short-Term Trusts in Conjunction with Interests in Oil or Gas Properties:
A Practitioners Guide," The University of Akron Law Review and CCH Financial
and Estate Planning Guide.
"Tax Consequences of Purchases of Computer Hardware and Software," The University of Akron Tax Journal
"The Original Issue Discount and Imputed Interest Rules," Ohio CPA Journal
"Estate Planning Aspects of Limited Liability Companies Enhanced," Ohio CPA Journal
Mr. Malone has taught and spoken on a number of subjects, including mergers and acquisitions and federal and state taxation issues, at various universities, colleges and professional organizations.
Mr. Malone also makes presentations at the Cleveland Tax Institute covering topics including tax consequences of sale of a partnership or limited liability company interest, restructuring distressed partnerships and limited liability companies, and tax consequences of options to acquire or limited liability company interests, convertible debt and convertible preferred equity.